Undertakings and Rules for the Students of the Albert H. Small Normandy Institute
- Complete all of the assignments on time to the best of my ability.
- Make three presentations about my soldier and the Institute to groups in my community after I return home and to tell the Institute Staff about those presentations (and maybe provide photos).
- At all times be respectful to all members and staff of the Institute and to those we encounter in our travels – we are representatives of our schools, our communities and the United States of America.
- Be on time to all events and dress appropriately for the occasion.
- Be positive and flexible.
- In each location (GW campus, hotels, field trips), we will establish boundaries for all students. You must be with a teacher or staff member when out of boundaries. If you do accidentally become separated, please call the Academic Director, one of the Head Teachers, or the Staff Administrator as soon as possible.
- Check in with the Academic Director, one of the Head Teachers, or the Staff Administrator if you are leaving boundaries.
- ALL reasonable requests by ANY adult in the Institute (your teacher or not) must be followed.
- No alcohol, drugs, or tobacco or other smoking products are to be possessed or consumed at any point during the Institute. The US drinking age is in effect through the trip; students are not allowed to purchase, drink, or transport these substances at any time.
- Phones may be used during the trip at appropriate times, but should not be used during presentations, discussions, or while touring a site or museum.
- Take advantage of this opportunity! Take pictures, ask questions, engage in every session and tour. Learn as much as you can. Enjoy yourself.
Nothing is more important to us than your safety. As a member of the George Washington University community, the Albert H. Small Normandy Institute follows the policy of GWU. We will continue to monitor both recommendations by the CDC as well as requirements by the French government to ensure your safe travel to and from DC as well as France. Please see GWU's policy below for more information.